Bazaar del Mundo needs your vote. Nominations are open for San Diego CityBeat’s “Best Of” issue, and we need all avid shoppers, culture connoisseurs and jewelry junkies to help us win “Best” for:
- San Diego Tourist Attraction
- Cooking Store
- Gift Shop, Jewelry Shop
- Women’s Clothing Store
- Cultural Festival (Latin American Festival or Santa Fe Market)
You have through September 15 to nominate. Voting for the top 5 is held September 17-29 and the winners will be announced October 22.
Let them know where the best shopping in San Diego is – Bazaar del Mundo! Nominations can be made at http://goo.gl/xbHjOR.
Among the multitudes of treasures at Diane Powers’ locally owned Bazaar del Mundo shops in Old Town is the Laurel Burch Gallerita, bringing a unique variety of designs centered around the well known artist’s passion for vibrant colors, nature and culturally universal art. This shop is dedicated to honoring Laurel’s creativity. Her whimsical pieces include coffee mugs, canvas tote bags, silk scarves, socks, woven pillows and throws, greeting cards, note cards, bookmarks and magnets.
As a young child, Laurel was diagnosed with a rare bone disease called osteopetrosis. Frequently hospitalized, she began sharing her talents by telling stories and making small gifts for the other patients. Her ability to see beauty in the world around her was inspiring to all and created vision within her artwork.
In the 1960s, Laurel began selling her work on the streets of San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury district. Although she had never taken a single art class, Laurel’s work displays intricate details and a sense of expertise that cannot be taught!
Laurel Burch passed away in 2007, leaving behind a legacy of meaningful work connected to her global spirit, courage and commitment to her community. Her colorful spirit will forever live on through her exquisite art and designs.
One of our Bazaar del Mundo shop managers, Leslie Gregory, shared years of friendship with Laurel Burch and speaks about her, here: http://goo.gl/6AyxBm
Summer is the time to enjoy the company of great family and friends. What better way to do that than over delicious food? If you’re thinking about hosting a summer barbecue, come into The Kitchen Shop at Bazaar del Mundo for some essentials:
- Nothing goes better on corn bread than Jenkins Jellies’ Hell Fire Pepper Jelly. This delicious spread is an organic, gluten-free and vegan gourmet condiment with a kick. It can also be used in dips, sauces, salads or even desserts. For more helpful recipe ideas, check out this cookbook “Sweet Heat: Cooking with Jenkins Jellies’ Hell Fire Pepper Jelly” – http://goo.gl/exx0Ad.
- Did someone say corn bread? Ass Kickin’ Corn Bread is a full flavor bread mix that includes a packet of habanero pepper so you can flavor to taste.
- Stonewall Kitchen’s Basil Pesto Aioli is a classic French “mayo,” blended with Basil Pesto to create a delicious spread for sandwiches and dips. It’s also a great accompaniment to chicken, fish or pork.
- Zesty Mexican spices make Frontier Soups’ Tortilla Soup a sure-fire winner! The dehydrated black beans, peppers and sweet corn cook quickly in this Southwestern specialty. You can add chips or chicken to finish.
More delightful barbecue accessories include a glass beverage dispenser and small cacti spreaders. Don’t forget to check out our extensive collection of cookbooks!
Plan a perfect summer outdoor party with our help at Bazaar del Mundo! Our Shops have everything you need to transform your backyard into a lively fiesta – from beautiful Talavera dishware, hanging patio lights and traditional Mexican papel picado in bright colors.
We also carry festive oilcloth tablecloths that come in fun prints and patterns – they’re perfect for outdoor use and are a must-have for easy clean up. And if you want a real fiesta, you can top off the afternoon or evening by trying a new margarita recipe found in one of our many popular cookbooks.
Why not leave the cooking to one of Diane Powers’ fabulous Mexican restaurants? Catering is available at Casa Guadalajara (next door in Old Town), Casa de Pico (La Mesa), Casa de Bandini (Carlsbad) and Casa Sol y Mar (Del Mar Highlands). Choose from a convenient party package, or make your own custom menu. Imagine how impressed your guests will be with fresh guacamole, handmade tortillas, delicious salsas and sauces made fresh daily, beans and rice, and a flavorful entrée!
To browse the entire selection of unique party décor at Bazaar del Mundo, visit us at the north entrance to Old Town on the corner of Juan and Taylor. www.bazaardelmundo.com
Healthy dining…Mexican style? Only at Diane Powers’ Bazaar del Mundo Restaurant Group, where six flavorful and regionally-inspired Mexican entrees are new – and all under 650 calories! Gluten-free choices are also included.
The chefs at Powers’ award-winning Mexican restaurants – Casa Guadalajara in Old Town, Casa de Pico in La Mesa, Casa de Bandini in Carlsbad and Casa Sol y Mar in Del Mar Highlands – have created lighter selections using the finest and freshest ingredients, with homemade salsas and sauces newly prepared every day:
- Camarones del Pacifico: The ultimate shrimp ceviche marinated and poached in Pacifico beer, lime juice, red onions, Tajin and cucumbers – 290 calories
- *Ensalada de Chef Ignacio: Grilled chicken, avocado slices, tomatoes, queso Oaxaca and thin red onion, served with spicy chipotle light ranch dressing – 510 calories; gluten free
- *Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas: Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas topped with salsa verde and queso cotija, served with black beans and jicama slaw – 560 calories; gluten free
- Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos: Two soft, ground turkey tacos with pico de gallo, pickled red onions, queso cotija, served with black beans, arroz poblana and salsa quemada – 490 calories
- Tacos de Pescado Tropicales: Grilled fish with pineapple and mango salsa in soft corn tortillas, served with jicama slaw, light sour cream jalapeño lemon sauce, and black beans – 650 calories
- *Ensalada de Carne Asada: Grilled and marinated carne asada, with sliced avocado, tomatoes, queso cotija, sliced radishes, spring mix of romaine and cilantro lime dressing – 390 calories; gluten free
* = gluten-free selections
Diners can enjoy the new healthy dining entrees while washing them down with a frosty Skinny Margarita, made with Tres Agaves nectar and under 100 calories. ¡Salud!
Shoppers will find more than their “fair” share of unique and colorful jewelry, accessories and textiles at Bazaar del Mundo’s first World Fair Trade Day event, May 10 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Socially-conscious shoppers will delight in fair trade Haitian tin wall art, woven baskets from Africa, Indian picture frames and jewelry boxes, and Guatemalan creations including cosmetic bags, textiles, and purses made from Mayan huipils (traditional women’s blouses).
The Shops’ courtyard will be bustling with TINKU’s live Latin American folk music from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Neighboring Casa Guadalajara will offer delicious Mexican anotjitos (appetizers) and refreshing beverages all day. Ben & Jerry’s will be offering complimentary samples of its fair trade ice cream from 1-3 p.m.
Representatives from Fair Trade San Diego and La Mesa Fair Trade will also be available to answer questions about fair trade and educate shoppers on best buying practices.
The Fair Trade Federation states that manufacturers of fair trade products must:
- Create Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
- Pay Promptly and Fairly
- Ensure the Rights of Children
- Respect Cultural Identity
For more information visit www.bazaardelmundo.com.
No one knows how to throw a Cinco de Mayo party like Diane Powers! Visit her Bazaar del Mundo Shops in Old Town to plan the perfect fiesta for your friends and family.
Everything you need to throw an unforgettable get-together can be found in our Shops – colorful dishware, Talavera platters, one-of-a-kind Mexican paper flowers, traditional Mexican papel picado and hanging chili lights. You can even give your guests festive party favors like our tasty Mexican sauces and salsas.
Complete the cultural experience by dressing the part! Stunning and authentic blouses and dresses are available in our Artes de Mexico Shop, along with gold and silver jewelry in Ariana.
Leave it to our chefs at Powers’ Family of Mexican Restaurants – Casa Guadalajara, Casa de Pico, Casa de Bandini and Casa Sol y Mar – to cater a flawless meal including antojitos (appetizers), carne asada, carnitas, fresh tortillas, frijoles, postres (desserts) and more.
To see more of our fabulous Cinco de Mayo merchandise, see a photo gallery on our Facebook page.
St. Patrick’s Day is over, but we’re still seeing green. A sweater, a scarf – perfect for breezy weather – or a dazzling beaded belt, you can dress in various green hues from our Ariana shop.
Or, entertain guests with a green table! The Kitchen Shop has dishes – glasses, bowls, plates and flatware – as well as table linens and place mats that will fit your theme. Your diners will be you-know-what with envy.
Throughout the Bazaar del Mundo Shops, you’ll also find “verde” lamps, bags, Mexican folk art, furniture, jewelry, shoes and more!
To see more of our fabulous green merchandise, visit our Facebook photo album.
It doesn’t take much to liven up a tired room. Whether it’s a guest bedroom or living room, new throw pillows or linens can add color to any area.
The Bazaar del Mundo Shops have many options for festive and ethnic pillows, including a selection of fair trade merchandise. Floral patterns, tribal designs, Pendleton blankets and an array of Guatemalan fabrics will have your guests asking, “Where did you get that?”
Shop bedding, linens and more home decorating items at our Shops, located at the north entrance to Old Town on the corner of Juan and Taylor Street.
Finding the perfect present for the woman you love can be difficult, but with thousands of unique international gifts at Bazaar del Mundo, there’s always something beautiful to express your message.
Whether it’s a colorful pair of earrings, darling wallet with a Mexican calendar girl, or a special jewelry box, a gift from Bazaar del Mundo stands out – never something you could find at a department store!
For more chic Valentine’s Day gifts and hidden gems from all around the globe, visit Bazaar del Mundo Shops at the north entrance to Old Town on the corner of Juan and Taylor.